Oct. 4, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: A Day at a Time

A Day at a Time
Wednesday, Oct. 4, 2017

Reflection for the Day
We are powerless over our addictions; that admission brought us to The Program, where we learn through unconditional surrender that there is victory in defeat. After a time, we learn in Twelfth Step work that we're not only powerless over our own addiction, but over the addictions of others. We cannot will another person to sobriety, for example, any more than we can hold back the sunset. We may minister to another person's physical needs; we may share with him, pray with him and take him to meetings. But we cannot get inside his head and push some sort of magic button that will make him - or her - take the all-important First Step.

Do I still sometimes try to play God?

Today I Pray
May I understand my all-too-human need to be the boss, have the upper hand, be the final authority - even in the humbling business of my own addiction. May I see how easy it would be to become a big-shot Twelfth Stepper. May I also see that, no matter how much I care and want to help, I have no control over another's addiction - any more than someone else has control over mine.

Today I Will Remember
I cannot engineer another's sobriety.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 18, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Thursday, April 18, 2024 Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Friendship with oneself is all-important, because withou...