Oct. 8, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: A Day at a Time

A Day at a Time
Sunday, Oct. 8, 2017

Reflection for the Day
Determination - our clenched-jaw resolve that we can do something about everything - is perhaps the greatest hindrance to achieving serenity. Our old tapes tell us, "The difficult can be done immediately; the impossible will take a little longer." So we tighten up and prepare ourselves for battle, even though we know from long experience that our own will dooms us in advance to failure. Over and over, we are told in The Program that we must "Let Go and Let God." And we eventually do find serenity when we put aside our own will while accepting His will for us.

Am I learning to relax my stubborn grip? Do I allow the solutions to unfold by themselves?

Today I Pray
May I loosen my tight-jaw, my tight-fists, my general up-tightness - outward indications of the "do-it-myself" syndrome which has gotten me into trouble before. May I know from experience that this attitude - of "keep a grip on yourself" and on everybody else, too - is accompanied by impatience and followed by frustration. May I merge my own will with the greater will of God.

Today I Will Remember
Let up on the strangle-hold.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 28, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Thursday, March 28, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Anger is a great energizer if you don’t get stuck in it. —  ...