Jan. 10, 2018 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

Step by Step
Wednesday, Jan. 10, 2018 
"AA has become a way of life and living for me. It has brought about a revelation of self, the discovery of an inner being, an awareness of God.
"I wouldn't give it up or trade it for anything. And the only one who can take it away from me is me - by taking that first drink." - Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd Edition, 1976, "They Stopped in Time," Ch 7 ("A Teenager's Decision"), p 355. 

Today, perhaps my deadliest enemy is not alcohol or the "contributing factors" that I came up with to "blame" for my alcoholism. Maybe my greatest enemy is myself. If I am fighting an urge or temptation to drink or if I haven't yet gone into recovery, how I react to either is my decision and responsibility and no one else's. If a slip is pending or if I continue to drink because I think I'm either not ready to quit or the state of my life makes sobering up uninviting, the consequences are mine and mine alone if I pick up the next drink. Let me look to the Fourth Step to identify the emotional and spiritual weakness or sickness that fuels my self-destruction. Today, I have no desire to give in or give up. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 28, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Thursday, March 28, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Anger is a great energizer if you don’t get stuck in it. —  ...