Feb. 4, 2018 - Readings in Recovery: A Day at a Time

A Day at a Time
Sunday, Feb. 4, 2018

Reflection for the Day
Rare is the recovering alcoholic who will now dispute the fact that denial is a primary symptom of the illness. The Program teaches us that alcoholism is the only illness which actually tells the afflicted person that he or she really isn't sick at all. Not surprisingly, then, our lives as practicing alcoholics were characterized by endless rationalization, countless alibis and, in short, a steadfast unwillingness to accept the fact that we were, without question, bodily and mentally different from our fellows.

Have I conceded to my innermost self that I am truly powerless over alcohol?

Today I Pray
May The Program's First Step be not half-hearted for me, but a total admission of powerlessness over my addiction. May I rid myself of that first symptom - denial - which refuses to recognize any other symptom of my disease.

Today I Will Remember
Deny denial.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 28, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Thursday, March 28, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Anger is a great energizer if you don’t get stuck in it. —  ...