May 5, 2018 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

Step by Step
Saturday, May 5, 2018

" ...our problems were of our own making. Bottles were only a symbol." - Alcoholics Anonymous, Third Edition, 1976, p 103

Today, accept that I and I alone am responsible for my problems, that I and I alone am responsible for being an alcoholic and that I and I alone can identify and correct the "symbol" on which my addiction is based. If I lost a job, spouse or partner because of drinking and I continued drinking or began to drink to "cope" with resentment or a sense of loss, the problem is my handling of those feelings, not the situations themselves. Anger and resentment, then, are the "symbol" of my defective character, and it is that defect which I must identify in my Fourth and hand over to my Higher Power in the Sixth and Seventh steps. Something must replace the void when anger and resentment are relinquished, however, and the service edict of the 12th Step - carrying the message to other alcoholics - suffices in turning my attention from myself to others who need and want the message. Today, I accept that I am responsible for my conduct and that I and I alone am responsible to their consequences. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 16, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Tuesday, April 16, 2024 Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: There are persons who have some parts like me, but no one...