June 6, 2018 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

Step by Step
Wednesday, June 6, 2018

"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves. ...They are not at fault; they seem to have been born that way. They are naturally incapable of grasping and developing a manner of living which demands rigorous honesty. Their chances are less than average." - Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd Edition, 1976, Ch 5, p 58.

Today, examination not only my own honesty but the foundation on which it is built. Before I can start to develop the honesty required for a quality recovery, I first have to ask why I want recovery. Starting at the very beginning of the program - Step One - I have to distinguish that over which I am powerless. Is it alcohol or the potential consequences of my misconduct while drunk? If I cannot admit that it is alcohol over which I am powerless, then I am lying to myself if I seek recovery to avoid or lessen the consequences drinking. Today, I have to be honest that I am powerless over alcohol and that my addiction is the basis for getting honest. To stop drinking for anyone or anything else is the foundation of a lie, one that is built on sand. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 20, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

  Step by Step Saturday, April 20, 2024 Today ,  small  steps  instead of an  “easier, softer way.”  Alcoholism and its physical, emotional ...