June 9, 2018 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

Step by Step
Saturday, June 9, 2018

"We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable." - Step One

Today, Steps 2 through 12 become mountains if the one step that requires absolute and unconditional surrender and humility - Step One - isn't taken so thoroughly that it becomes indelible in subconscious awareness. We don't have any prayer for a quality recovery if we do not or will not accept the simple fact that our use of alcohol makes everything in our lives unmanageable. And if my ego is such that I will not admit I have no control over alcohol, maybe I can adopt a different perspective until I can check my ego in subsequent steps. Instead of thinking that alcohol controls me, I will control alcohol by not allowing it to control me. And the one way to do that is total abstinence. Today, if I find myself struggling with any of the steps, maybe I need ask if I've even left the starting block - Step One. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 29, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundaiton

  Friday, March 29, 2024 Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: AA Thought for the Day In  AA  we forget about the future. We ...