Sept. 28, 2021 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

 

Step by Step

Tuesday, Sept. 28, 2021

"1. - Each member of Alcoholics Anonymous is but a small part of a great whole. AA must continue to live or most of us will surely die. Hence our common welfare comes first. But individual welfare follows close afterward." - The First Tradition (long form), Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd Edition, 1976, Appendices, "The Twelve Traditions," p 565.

Today, understand and respect the first tradition of AA, that I am not first and foremost and that my own sobriety and recovery contribute to the effectiveness of the Program as a whole. The sobriety and acceptance for which I have worked are not solely mine but mirror AA's credibility - be it in the eyes of a newcomer or the public and various professional organizations. Because of that responsibility, understand also that sobriety carries a responsibility. My responsibility to my sobriety, then, boils down to being in service as the first tradition states. If I can effectively serve, I may be contributing to my own recovery which, as the first tradition says, comes a close second. Today, my sobriety is not my own and is part of everyone else's, and I am responsible to work for continued recovery. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

May 9, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

  Step by Step Thursday, May 9, 2024 “It is easy to let up on the spiritual program of action and rest on our laurels. We are headed for tro...