July 30, 2022 – Readings in Recovery: A Day at a Time

 

A Day at a Time
Saturday, July 30, 2022

Reflection for the Day
When we first come to The Program, the most common variety of self-pity begins:“Poor me! Why can’t I (fill in your own addiction) like everybody else? Why me?” Such bemoaning, if allowed to persist, is a surefire invitation for a long walk off a short pier – right back to the mess we were in before we came to The Program. When we stick around The Program for a while, we discover that it’s not just “me” at all; we become involved with people, from all walks of life, who are in exactly the same boat.

Am I losing interest in my comfortably familiar “pity pot?”

Today I Pray
When self-pity has me droopy and inert, may I look up, look around and perk up. Self-pity, God wills, vanishes in the light of other people’s shared troubles. May I always wish for friends honest enough to confront me if they see me digging my way back down into my old pity pit.

Today I Will Remember
Turn self-involvement into involvement.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

May 9, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

  Step by Step Thursday, May 9, 2024 “It is easy to let up on the spiritual program of action and rest on our laurels. We are headed for tro...