Jan. 28, 2023 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 

Saturday, Jan. 28, 2023

Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

Desire is the very essence of man.

— Benedict de Spinoza

There is nothing wrong with desire. It is part of being human. During our active addiction, our desires directed our lives. Our desires made our choices for us. If it felt good, well then, “Just do it!” We placed our desires ahead of our values and spiritual principles. This is the mistake we made.

Desires are like children; they need to be guided. In recovery, we use the Steps to guide and direct our desires. We now desire to do the right thing. We desire to get close to people. We desire to be good family members and good citizens. Why? Because this is what we’ve wanted all along. We desire to be good people with good lives.

Prayer for the Day

Higher Power, help me guide the energy of my desires toward what you want me to do. Help me to place principles before desire.

Today’s Action

I will make a list of five times I’ve placed my desires ahead of what is right for me and others. I will call and share my list with someone in recovery.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

May 8, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Wednesday, May 8, 2024 Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: The luxury of doing good surpasses every other personal en...