Jan. 27, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 

Saturday, Jan. 27, 2024

Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

Family Consequences

My daughter was noticeably impacted by my drinking. She developed some anger at me for more or less emotionally abandoning her for all those years. One of the ways she coped with my drinking was to try and fix me. I’d be passed out on the couch, and she would go into the trash can and get all the empty beer cans, and lay them on my chest and spread them out. So when I came to, or woke up, beer cans would go flying.

That was her way of saying, Hey, go quit this shit. But thankfully, she’s been supportive of me in recovery. That’s another thing I have to be grateful for.

Today I will remember the past without regret, because I have made changes to stay sober today.

— Mike D., U.S. Marine Corps, 1970–1974

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

May 8, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Wednesday, May 8, 2024 Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: The luxury of doing good surpasses every other personal en...