Feb. 27, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 

Tuesday, Feb. 27, 2024

Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

New Routine

I think we all still have a little manipulation left in us, no matter where we’re at in sobriety. The Navy highly recommended I attend meetings, and I had to go get that stupid paper signed. I picked the treatment center director’s wife to be my sponsor, because I thought it would look good on my record. They would be at the meetings, but I didn’t know they didn’t keep a record of my attendance. I honestly thought there was some chart or whatever.

Well, the thing is, they adopted me and treated me like a daughter. My first sponsor even coached me through labor with my oldest son. We developed such a close bond that, as the years went by, people new to the area thought my sponsor and her husband were my parents.

They spoiled me. They fed me. They picked me up and we’d go to their miniature farm. They’d have barbecues, meetings, and Easter egg hunts there. I told myself, Let’s just try this on for size, because what’s happening now is way better than what was happening. I can deal with this.

As I travel the road of recovery, I willingly welcome new people and new horizons into my life.

 Mary H., U.S. Navy, 1984–2004

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

May 8, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Wednesday, May 8, 2024 Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: The luxury of doing good surpasses every other personal en...