March 26, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

 

Step by Step
Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Today, recognize that much of my life has been expecting other people to meet my demands and expectations and fill my needs and wants. In selfishness and vanity, I rejected those who failed or would not give me what I wanted or needed when I wanted and needed it. In those times of looking to the outside for fulfillment, I had not a clue how to look inside myself and beyond something stronger than other people to attain what since have become different needs and expectations. In recovery, I understand that sobriety is first and foremost above everyone and everything. Once, my expectations of others were so unrealistic and selfish that I became needy to the point of being pathetic. Now I see the consequences, sometimes disastrous, of putting all my expectations on others. Now I am able to look inside myself and to a stronger Power to earn what I need. Today, I will take what my Program has given me to meet my needs and not weigh anyone with expectations so selfish and heavy that I ignore that they, too, have their own needs. And our common journey continues. Step by step. — Chris M., 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 27, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Saturday, April 27, 2024 Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: It’s the friends you can call up at 4 a.m. that matter. ...