April 20, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundaiton

 

Saturday, April 20, 2024

Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

Avoiding self-pity

Our troubled lives and mixed-up emotions can easily draw pity from those who would help us. Sometimes we even exaggerate our history or current situation to get more pity. In the program we share our feelings to avoid self-pity because we know how destructive it can be.

When we say, "This too shall pass," for example, we are not giving our fellows the brush-off. Rather we are saying, "Don't wallow in self-pity; it's a killer. We've all experienced similar situations. Your Higher Power loves you and it will pass!"

Have I stopped pitying myself?

Higher Power, help me to remember that pity leads only to self-pity and that I want to change that pattern.

Today I will work on avoiding self-pity by...

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

May 3, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

  Step by Step Friday, May 3, 2024 Today ,  security in sobriety to sustain any disappointments -- minor and major -- that I encounter in re...