April 28, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 

Sunday, April 28, 2024
Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

In the important decisions, we should be governed, I think, by the deep inner needs of our nature.
~Sigmund Freud

We make decisions all the time, and every one, large or small, changes us. Since change is frightening, making a decision can be frightening, too. We can make the process easier by asking ourselves the right questions: "Do I really want to do this? Will it benefit my life? Is it realistic?" Such questions help us know our true feelings, which are the most important part of any decision.

Wrong decisions are often made by focusing on external things: "If I do this, it will please my partner. I'm doing it because I want excitement and intrigue. I'm in it for the money. I want the power and status. Maybe I'm running away from something I don't want to face -- but so what?"

As addicts, it is important for us to avoid impulsivity and all-or-nothing thinking. We can take our time and talk our feelings through with our friends or our group, trying to see the bigger picture. If we are still unsure of the right thing to do, we can ask for our Higher Power's help, decide, and then trust the outcome.

The only wrong decision is one made for the wrong reasons.

Hazelden Foundation


No comments:

Post a Comment

May 11, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

  Step by Step Saturday, May 11, 2024 ”  …(D)eep down in every man, woman and child is the fundamental idea of God. It may be obscured by ca...