June 27, 2024 - Readnigs in Recovery: Today';s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 

Thursday, June 27, 2024

Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

Never f orget what a man says to you when he is angry.

-- Henry Ward Beecher

Do we speak the truth when we are angry? We are always quick to say, "I really didn't mean it," and we may even try to make amends for our thoughtlessness. But people, especially children, rarely forget what was said to them in anger.

Angry words hurt and mark people. Even if our parents didn't really mean it, those angry voices and words are still with us. We often come to believe that our parents didn't love us or respect us; otherwise, how could they have said those angry things that still hurt?

We will always have moments of anger. But we can think twice before letting anger dictate our speech. Words can hurt and people remember.

I know I will sometimes feel angry. But if I speak in anger, I want to be sure that what I say is honest, because people may take me at my word.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

June 30, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

  Step by Step Sunday, June 30, 2024 “Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, p...