Aug. 27, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 

Tuesday, Aug. 27, 2024

Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

Reflection for the Day

If we don't want to slip, we'll avoid slippery places. For the addict, that means avoiding people who used to provide substances; for the alcoholic, that means avoiding old drinking haunts; for the overeater, that means bypassing a once-favorite pastry shop; for the gambler, that means shunning poker parties and racetracks. For me, certain emotional situations can also be slippery places; so can indulgence of old ideas such as a well-nourished resentment that is allowed to build to explosive proportions.

Do I carry the principles of the program with me wherever I go?

Today I Pray

May I learn not to test myself too harshly by "asking for it," by stopping in at the bar or the bakery or the track. Such "testing" can be dangerous, especially if I am egged on, not only by a thirst or an appetite or a craving for the old object of my addictions, but by others still caught in addiction whose moral responsibility has been reduced to zero.


Today I Will Remember

Avoid slippery places.


Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sept. 13, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Friday, Sept. 13, 2024 Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Crystal Ball I make suggestions to my sponsees on a regula...