Sept. 29, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 

Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024

Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

Identifying Our Core Values

I hadn't really given a lot of thought to what my core values were before coming into recovery; I'm not sure I even knew if I had any. Once in recovery, we hear a lot about the importance of identifying and acting in accordance with our values.

But how do we do that? Well, let me tell you. First, find a list of personal values on the internet -- there are literally thousands of such lists. Without overthinking, select 10 values from the list that stick out for you. Then, spend some time pondering your short list of 10 and whittle it down to your top five. For each of those five, ask yourself what the value means for you, why it is important for you and how it is showing up in your life currently.

Give some thought to how your life is aligning with those five values, or what you need to do to better align with them. My five core values, at the moment, are family, community, diversity, making a difference and spirituality. Values change as we do, so I revisit this exercise every few years.

Although it's a tall order, we should strive to be a living expression of our values in recovery.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sept. 29, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Identifying Our Core Values I hadn't really given a lo...