Feb. 2, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

Step by Step
Thursday, Feb. 2, 2017
Today, dependency is not confined to alcohol addiction and always impacts my relationships with other people. For years, I depended on alcohol to drown feelings I did not want or to "create" feelings I wanted and to shape my attitude and perspective. Is it no wonder that I depended on alcohol to define - in part - my relationships with other people? Honesty says yes! And my expectations in those relationships were either to dominate THEM, or to be so emotionally clinging and dependent on them that MY unrealistic expectations drove them away. Now, in sobriety, I have to admit that quitting drinking is not enough, that I must also be sober in my relationships and find the compromise between being the dominant one - and the needy one. Today, I begin the search for the way to be a contributor to healthy relationships. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 19, 2024 - Reading sin Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

  Friday, April 19, 2024 Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is: Making Room for What Matters I don't know about you, b...